Applications are invited for the University of Adelaide Free Online Course on Entrepreneurial Opportunities. This 5 weeks business course will show applicants how to apply entrepreneurial thinking and provide them with the tools and frameworks to successfully identify and evaluate business opportunities and ideas.
The overall objective of this course is to learn how to be a successful entrepreneur by understanding how to evaluate business opportunities and ideas. The course will start on September 13, 2016
Most people can come up with a business idea that looks good on paper, but how can applicants be sure their idea is going to fly? This business course will show them how to apply entrepreneurial thinking and provide them with the tools and frameworks to successfully identify and evaluate business opportunities and ideas
Starting with an overview of the entrepreneurial process, they will identify what constitutes exceptional business opportunities and understand how to evaluate their underlying characteristics. They shall consider the dimensions that affect decision-making about new business ideas and put key decisions to the test on their own business ideas. They shall earn how to gauge the quality of their business idea or opportunity and assess the ability of the team they bring together to execute the venture
Course at a Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 2-3 hours pw
Institution: University of Adelaide and edx
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Starts on September 13, 2016
The University of Adelaide is Australia’s third oldest university and has a strong reputation for excellence in research and teaching. The University is known for its dedication to the discovery of new knowledge and preparing the educated leaders of tomorrow.
This online platform edX provides online courses from the world’s best universities. edX can empower applicants to build innovative applications, services, and experiences.
Benefits of this course
- This is a free online course. Applicants can pursue a verified certificate. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts
- They shall learn how to make sense of ‘gut feel’ when deciding whether to invest in a potential business and practice using rules of thumb (heuristics) to make such decisions, based on their own experiences
- Through a series of practical investigations, they shall develop a collage or ‘mental template’ from which to examine potential business investment opportunities
- They shall be working with the expert team at the Entrepreneurship, Commercialisation and Innovation Centre (ECIC) at the University of Adelaide
- They have worked with entrepreneurs like them and have facilitated the establishment of many successful businesses. They can be confident that what they will learn in this course is road-tested and high-impact – not just theoretical
After completing this course applicants will learn the following:
- Use rules of thumb, frameworks, and tools to evaluate their best business idea
- Evaluate new opportunities drawing on their own experiences and knowledge
- Build an entrepreneurial team that will complement the opportunity they have identified
Noel is the Director of the Entrepreneurship, Commercialisation and Innovation Centre (ECIC) and the Academic Director, Singapore Operations, the University of Adelaide, where he is the Professor of Entrepreneurship and Commercialisation.
Wendy is the Online Program Coordinator and Associate Head, Learning and Teaching in the Entrepreneurship, Commercialisation and Innovation Centre (ECIC) at the University of Adelaide. She is also the Associate Dean IT in the Faculty of Professions.
As the Australian eChallenge Program Manager, Zrinka is responsible for the strategic development and marketing of the program in Australia and internationally. The Australian eChallenge is Australia’s largest and longest running student entrepreneur competition launching over 500 start-ups over 13 years.
Diana is the Research Support Coordinator at the Entrepreneurship, Commercialisation and Innovation Centre (ECIC). She has project management, academic and professional skills which she gained as the ECIC’s Business Manager and as a university lecturer. Diana holds a PhD in Applied Mathematics.
Note: Prerequisites: None
How to join this course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org home page and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)
For further information, enquiry and application, click here