Applications are invited for the 2015 TWAS-UPM Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme in Malaysia. Fellowships are available for young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) who wish to pursue postdoctoral research in natural sciences at the Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) in Malaysia. UPM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation and food.
This fellowship is for young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) who wish to pursue advanced research in natural sciences at the Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) in Selangor, Malaysia.
TWAS-UPM Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable in the departments, institutions and laboratories of the Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) for a minimum period of six (6) months to a maximum period of twelve months and are awarded to young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) to enable them pursue advanced research in the natural sciences.
Fellowships are awarded in the field of natural sciences (Agricultural Sciences, Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biological Systems and Organisms, Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences, Chemical Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and Physics) at Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM).
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Must be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia)
- Must nothold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country
- Must hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences
- Apply for the fellowship within five years of having obtained a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences
- Must be regularly employed in a developing country (other than Malaysia) and hold a research assignment there
- Must provide an official Acceptance Letter from a department, laboratory or institute at UPM (see sample Acceptance Letter in the application form)
- Applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with copy of their latest CV and a short write-up of research proposal (maximum 3 pages)
- Must provide evidence of proficiency in English
- Must be financially responsible for any accompanying family member.
Citizens of the following developing countries (other than Malaysia) can apply for this fellowship: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Iran, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe
UPM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation and food
How to apply
- Applicants should submit the acceptance letter (issued by the Dean of the UPM School of Graduate Studies) to TWAS, when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without the acceptance letter, the application willnot be considered for selection
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper, Signed and sent as attachments via e-mail to TWAS. The subject line must contain UPM/PDoc and the candidate’s surname. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted. The letters can be submitted either by the referee or by the applicant directly.
- Applicants to theTWAS-UPM Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS only (by email).
- Applicants can download the Application form here
The application deadline is 15th September, 2015
For more information, enquiries and application, click here